Starting a WordPress site is an essential component you need to survive in this global world. If you are an entrepreneur or a small business owner who just stepped into the online world, you need to create an appealing and impressive WordPress site.
But if you are a beginner, you must be scared and might be finding web developers and designers to help you build a competitive site.
Well, that’s a good option, but it would cost you a lot of money.
So, if you want to save your money and learn how to make a WordPress website with ease, this article is written for you with all the important information you need to build an excellent business site.
No coding skills required, no hassle, and an incredible budget-friendly WordPress website.
Want to know?
WordPress.com vs WordPress.org
WordPress is the most popular and most widely used site-building software recommended for all site users. It can help you build your website with ease. However, if you are a newbie, you might be confused between wordpress.com and wordpress.org.
The major difference between the two lies within their hosting solution, who is hosting your site!
WordPress.org allows you to host your site on your own, whereas in wordpress.com, WordPress hosts it for you.
So, it depends on you if you want to host it yourself or want WordPress to host it for you.
Don’t forget there are strings attached to this feasibility too. If you host your site, it may be a hassle, but also get the freedom to do anything you want in the future.
On the other hand, if you allow WordPress to take care of your site, you may not have a full customization control over it.
That’s not all! There is a lot more difference in their offerings.
Why You Need WordPress.com?
WordPress.com allows you to build your site for free (basic free plan with premium upgrades) so you don’t have to purchase a hosting plan or worry about your site’s maintenance. The free plan allows you to enjoy up to 3 GB of data and offers a subdomain. Moreover, you can create a basic blog/website with ease.
However, if you want versatility, flexibility, and want to grow your site in the long run, then wordpress.com is not a piece of cake. You need to look into wordpress.org.
Let’s dive in and look into the specs of wordpress.org
Why You Need WordPress.Org?
WordPress.org is a little technical as compared to wordpress.com. You need to set it up with a hosting provider. But, wordpress.org offers greater flexibility and better customization options and allows you to monetize your site according to your business plan.
With the simple click, you can install plugins, use custom website themes, and have full control over your site.
All you need is the knowledge, skill, and expertise to handle these task. Remember, it is always worth taking the risk!
There are various website hosting companies that can help you start with wordpress.com with ease, flexibility, and much more freedom. All such hosting companies come up with a different pricing plan and features. You just need to choose the right one for your business.
|Initial Setup Cost||Domain + Hosting||Free to start; Pay for domain and hosting later.|
|Hosting||Host Yourself.||WordPress will host for you.|
|Customization||Lot of customization options available via themes or plugins.||Lesser customization options.|
|Growth||Ideal for more growth opportunities.||Not ideal for growth opportunities.|
|Ease of Usage||Medium||Fairly Easy|
|Best Suited for||Beginner to advanced Users||Only Beginners|
Crust: If you are a beginner, then opts for wordpress.com; it’s free and offers basic essentials. However, if you want to grow your business in the long run and want freedom and better customization options, opt for wordpress.org.
Now, let’s look into the next most important aspect – The domain name.
Choosing a Domain Name
Your domain name is your online presence, your online address, your online brand repute. Once it’s created, your image remains intact with your customer forever.
It is the most important decision you need to make; it is a challenge and yet an effective and most significant thing you need for your business. Your site’s domain name is the basic IP Address of your website. The IP address itself is difficult to remember; therefore, a domain name is a word-based format that is not only easy to understand and type but also easy to remember.
So, always choose a perfect domain name for your site; it helps you retain your customers and also help you attain high traffic and ranking.
Want to define your brand and create the first positive impression among your visitors? Get hooked with some of the best tips to choose a perfect domain name.
Tips To Choose The Perfect Domain Name
- Choose the right domain name extension: .com, .org, and .net are the most common, popular, and recommended domain name extensions you must opt for. Don’t go for innovation like .pizza, .photography, .club or any other. They are not even familiar nor effective!
- Find a brandable domain name: Generic domain names only create confusion; whereas, unique, creative, and brandable domain names will help you stand out among your competitors. It will create the trust of your company.
- Keep your domain name short and concise: The most common name length is 12 characters; if not 12, then aim for in between 6-14. Remember, the shorter, the better.
- Easy to type and pronounce: Visitors hate ambiguity; anything that is hard for them to type or pronounce they will avoid. So, look for something simple that is easily understood and easy to pronounce.
- Don’t use hyphens and numbers: Hyphens and numbers are neither appealing nor easy to remember. So, if you think adding hyphens and numbers will help you create an innovative, unique domain name. You are on the wrong track!
- Use your keywords: Keywords placed at the beginning of your domain name will help you create a unique, brandable domain name, and improve your SEO ranking.
- Check if it is not used: You need a unique domain name, a domain name that is not registered trademarked or already in use; else, be ready for legal issues. So before you buy a domain name, you need to search for one.
Search and buy the right domain name
Searching the right domain name is the most essential yet essential thing you need to do. So before you start the search of your domain name; check the checklist below:
- Perform A Trademark Search – Perform a trademark search and check if the domain name you have chosen is not similar to the already trademarked domain name. You can either research it at TESS or perform a google search to get a rough idea.
- Search On Domain Name Generators – Domain name generator is a tech-savvy tool that will help you search clever domain name ideas within minutes. So, if you were planning to search a domain name manually, leave that idea aside. Instead, get hooked with the best domain name generator; nameboy, and Domain Wheel are the best free domain name generators available on the market that will help you find the best domain name for your business.
- Buy A Domain Name From Domain Name Registrars – Godaddy or namecheap.com are few best domain name registrars that will help you search and register your domain name with ease. They will also help you generate a smart, unique domain name for your company.
Get a Free Domain Name From Web Hosting Companies
The web is loaded with hundreds of domain registrars. So, search for the one that offers free domain name in its package. Certain web hosting companies also offer free domain registration with their hosting accounts. Avail their offer and earn great!
Choose WordPress Hosting
Once you have chosen the perfect domain name for your company, now it time to choose the right hosting solution for your business. If you are new in this field, the cloud hosting and shared hosting would only create more ambiguity within your thoughts.
Stop! Don’t stress out!
Web hosting can be complex, but not after reading this article. Cloud hosting and shared hosting are the best hosting and the most common hosting choices you have.
Shared web hosting is the cheapest, most popular, and most common hosting solution, ideally for small sites. Within this hosting solution, a single server is divided between multiple servers, where each user shares a bandwidth amount. So, it is perfect for those sites that have a tight budget and run on a small scale.
On the other hand, cloud hosting uses multiple servers’ resources, thereby making it best for better sites and can thus handle heavy traffic as well. Cloud hosting is more reliable, effective, can handle heavy traffic, and offers more excellent protection. However, if you have a limited budget, then cloud hosting might not be the right option, as they are expensive compared to shared hosting plans.
Quick Tip – Buy domain and hosting from same company for the ease of usage.
- Namecheap – Namecheap offers the best shared hosting plan for small businesses. They offer three shared hosting plans. All plans offer unlimited bandwidth, subdomain range from 30- unlimited, three websites (smallest package)- unlimited websites, free CDN and SSL installation, and many more.
- DreamHost – Dreamhost is another famous web hosting company offering four hosting solutions; shared, VPS. Dedicated and cloud hosting. However, their shared hosting solution is very popular among newbies. It costs around $3.95 for a month and $4.95 for the unlimited tier.
- SiteGround – SiteGround offers both shared hosting and cloud hosting plans so you have plenty of options to choose from. Moreover, their cloud hosting solution offers guaranteed resources. They provide a separate RAM and CPU to their clients that will not be shared with any other website. Moreover, users can even upgrade their RAM, CPU, and disk space anytime they want.
- Cloudways – Cloudways exclusively focuses on providing cloud-based hosting solutions; ideal for small to medium business. Their hosting plan works for everyone starting from $10 per month to $1035 per month. All their plans offer free SSL and migration, CDN add-ons, unlimited application installations, dedicated firewalls, automated backups, regular security patches, and much more.
Final Step – Install WordPress on Your Hosting
As you have already chosen a unique domain name and a good web hosting company, it’s time to install WordPress on your hosting solution. The market is bombarded with web hosting companies, but within this article, we will help you install WordPress on Siteground.
SiteGround is a popular web hosting solution preferred by many for their excellent customer support, optimized hosting plan, and pain-free WordPress installation process. So, without further delay, let’s dive in and install WordPress on SiteGround.
Sign up on SiteGround and choose your hosting plan.
Select start a new website and then click on WordPress.
Fill in the WordPress installation detail form; provide them with your email address, username, and password of your new WordPress site.
Click Continue Button
Now you will be directed to enhance your account setup for now, skip it and add them later. So, simply click Complete Setup Button.
A popup message will appear congratulating you.
If you have purchased your domain from another company, you can redirect your domain to Siteground hosting account. Else, click “Manage site” to start managing your WordPress site.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed WordPress on the SiteGround account.
You may even opt for other hosting solutions like BlueHost, HostGator, WP Engine, or any other. Most of them follow a similar method or offer tutorials to help their users.
Now that you have installed WordPress, don’t forget to create pages and blogs for your site. You may also need to choose a theme and install plugins to help your site grow. We will discuss all these things in a separate article.
Was that difficult? Definite not!
You have successfully learned how to start your WordPress site. The process was simple, detailed, and will help you create a website yourself.